CURL PREP GUIDE: 101
We live in a healthy lifestyle driven society and I'm sure you've heard the term, "Meal Prep," when you choose one day per week to prep your meals for the entire week. It's actually become a craze because people want to save time, lose weight, eat healthier, prepare for the Apocalypse...I mean the reasons are endless.
Hmmmm, so that got me to thinking...how can naturalistas apply this idea of meal prep to our hair? I mean we all want healthy, nourished hair right? To help you better understand what this process could look like, keep reading.
CURL PREP GUIDE: 101
First things first – planning. Before you start to prep your curls, you need a nice, solid plan. Coming up with a curl plan may sound overwhelming at first, but it’s not as bad as it may seem. Just take it one step at a time and start with one, simple style you love and know and then work your way up. Soon, you’ll be prepping your curls every week! Watch out – it gets addicting!
HOW TO MAKE A CURL PREP PLAN
- Write down all of the hair goals you have for the week. Some examples could be:
- Easy detangling on wash day
- Protective styling
- Styles that transition easily
- Less shed hair
2. Next, take an inventory of the current products, tools and accessories you have on hand and invest in more if needed. Some holy grails you may need are:
- Good natural hair products such as shampoo, conditioners, styling products
- Clips and hair ties
- Comb and detangling brush
- Flexi rods or perm rods
- Edge shaper
- Hair dryer or diffuser
- Bonnet or silk scarf
3. Pick one easy style, to start that you have successfully mastered in the past. As this becomes habit you can begin adding new styles and techniques. As always, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest are great places to find style inspo!
4. Time to implement. It may seem daunting at first, but you've got this.
YOUR 7-DAY CURL PREP PLAN
Feel free to change up the days/times that work best for your schedule. The goal here is to try and stay consistent and remember to have fun!
- Oil your hair (we do this to make detangling on wash day much easier). Raw, organic coconut oil works good here.
Daily Maintenance Bundle
- Unwrap your hair, oil your hands (to prevent any breakage while handling your hair) and pin your twists in a cute updo or ponytail. Off to conquer the world!
- Keep your same twisted updo or ponytail, but secure your hair in a beautiful scarf for a tribal look. It's your choice to expose some twists or hide them completely.
- Gather the twists towards the front of your head into a top knot and pin. Unravel your twists in the back and fluff out gently. Voila, half up/half down.
- Unravel all of your twists for a voluptuous, but defined twist out. Gently pick out with your afro pick.
- Re-twist in chunky sections using a daily styler, such as our Hair Milk that night to keep the curl pattern.
- Gather all of the hair into a high pineapple/ponytail. Be sure to slick those baby hairs sis! Go seize the day!
Cheers to you for completing a full week of "Curl Prep!" Take note of what worked well for you this week and how that made you feel and also if something needs to be tweaked, jot that down too. Remember, this is your personal hair journey and you are in the drivers seat. Be kind and gentle to yourself and watch your hair thrive.
New to Tree Naturals? Our Product Junkie Bundle is the best value for your curls! It contains everything you need to Curl Prep and have poppin' healthy curls.
Tree Naturals Product Junkie Bundle
Do you curl prep? Let us know below!
Leave a comment